At our free markets, attendees are able to take and/or leave free belongings from a variety of themed booths. Every market has a booth for canned/boxed food to take home, warm food to enjoy at the market, clothing, household items, information about environmental sustainability, childcare items, books, handmade artisan crafts, and hygienic supplies.
The market is more than just a place to recycle old belongings and receive things you might need for free. It is also a place to cultivate community between the people that go by sharing a day of free, relaxed, family friendly fun.
- GAC’s First Community Free Market @ Make.Shift Art Space – March 30, 2015
- Bellingham Community Free Market @ Make.Shift Art Space – July 26, 2015
- Bellingham Community Free Market @ Make.Shift Art Space – November 29, 2015
- Bellingham Community Free Market @ Make.Shift Art Space – July 17, 2016
Goals & Purpose:
- Provide attendees with their basic needs for free
- Serve as an outlet for people to recycle old belongings
- Bring together people from different backgrounds in an atmosphere that promotes acceptance and inclusion
- Advocate for environmental sustainability, and provide tools that make it easier to practice (compost bins, seed starts, etc.)
- Advocate the values of practicing compassion for better health and a stronger community
- Serve as a way for people to connect as a community without any financial barriers, so that everyone who desires is able to participate